Learn how the Polkamarkets Protocol works in detail, with practical examples, formulas and strategies.
Before you dive into how Polkamarkets works, make sure you’re familiar with the general concepts of Prediction Markets. You can learn more in the Prediction Markets Primer section.
Polkamarkets allows individuals to ask questions about the future, take positions on outcomes of real-world events, and earn rewards for their participation.
The Polkamarkets Protocol is deployed in different blockchains and is usable using the Polkamarkets Web Application, applications that have deployed or adapted its open-source code base, or any other EVM RPC clients or APIs.
- Decentralised: no single entity controls the markets;
- Autonomous: trades and liquidity are managed by an open-source Automated Market Maker (AMM) and not by any third-party entity;
- Transparent: all markets and trades are on-chain;
- Rewarding: all participants, from forecasters, to liquidity providers and oracles, can earn rewards.
The Polkamarkets Protocol supports the following features:
- Create prediction markets
- Provide liquidity to prediction markets
- Make forecasts by buying outcome shares in prediction markets
- Change their forecasts by selling their outcome shares
- Resolve prediction markets
- Curate prediction markets
Certain features of the Protocol are only available to holders of the POLK utility token:
- Market Creation
- Market Resolution
- Market Curation
Automated Market Maker (AMM)Lifecycle of a Polkamarkets Prediction MarketMarket CreationTrading and Price CalculationMarket LiquidityMarket ResolutionMarket Curation